Explore this diverse, exciting and adventure-packed island as a family, combining quirky endemic wildlife with unspoilt tropical beaches. In the forests of Andasibe, spot lemurs and chameleons as you explore on foot, before searching for haunted tombs in the mangroves of remote southern Madagascar. Finish on the beach, where you can snorkel, swim, kayak and sail, surrounded by an array of colourful marine life.
Ideas for a Family Holiday in Madagascar
- Snorkel over historical shipwrecks off the coast of Ile St Marie
- Search for pirate graves and elusive aye-ayes, before making bows and arrows and going on a bug-hunt on a Madagascar family adventure
- Charter a skippered yacht and island-hop along Madagascar’s north-western coast
- Get up close to lemurs on a forest walk through one of the many national parks that dot the country
- Set out on a night walk, spotting chameleons, tenrecs and other nocturnal animals by torchlight
- Sail, windsurf, snorkel and canoe off the beaches on Anjajavy
Featured Family Properties in Madagascar
A beautiful beachside lodge, full of activities, including snorkelling, sailing and water skiing.
Surrounded by sacred forests hiding tombs and lemurs, Mandrare River Camp is a great hub for adventure.
Only accessible by motorboat, Masoala Forest Lodge offers everything from sea kayaking to forest walks.
From here, explore Ile Sainte-Marie by quadbike, mountain bike or on foot. Also venture out to sea to find whales.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“Madagascar is wonderful for families because there is almost nothing poisonous or dangerous – kids can wander freely without too much concern. And all the activities mean that at the end of the day, they are shattered, leaving parents with some alone time to enjoy a glass of wine.”
Chris Johnston | Steppes Travel Family Expert
Madagascar Family Activities On Social Media