India is one of the most exciting and fascinating countries on Earth. From the mighty Himalayas of Ladakh bordering the north to the coastal backwaters and rolling tea estates of the tropical southern Kerala, an India holiday can feel like a visit to more than just one country. The colourful and historical cities of Rajasthan, for instance, contrast immensely with the abundance of wildlife you will discover on a tiger safari holiday.
It is impossible to see the country in its entirety on a single India holiday. Consider it a continent masquerading as a country when researching your holiday. With 28 states, all worthy of a visit, every tailor-made holiday to India requires intrinsic planning. Let us help you craft a personalised luxury holiday itinerary or recommend one of our small, expert-led group tours.
Explore the highlights of India
- Stay in luxurious leading hotels such as Oberoi throughout Rajasthan.
- Visit remote villages with their own, distinguishable cultural features and stay in small, boutique heritage hotels.
- Benefit from well-considered, crafted sightseeing tours that avoid the crowds and give the best view point.
- Spend time on board a private houseboat, cruising the backwaters of Kerala.
- Visit the tea plantations of Munnar and experience spectacular scenery.
- Relax on the white sandy beaches at Neeleshwar Hermitage and indulge in the art of Ayurveda.
- Board the M.V. Mahabaahu and experience one of the Asia’s largest rivers, the Brahmaputra.
- Discover remote towns and villages lining the banks of India’s sacred Ganges River, cruising between Kolkata and as far north as Varanasi.
- From Kolkata, cruise the charming Hooghly River on the ABN Rajmahal.
Meet our India Specialists
Without a doubt a tailor-made holiday to India requires some planning and the best place to start is to call one of our extremely knowledgeable and experienced travel consultants. Joe and Kate have considerable experience of creating exciting, interesting and varied holidays to India without losing sight of the “must-see” places.
What to expect on your luxury India holiday
Forget the stereotypes. Go with an open mind. Don’t expect anything and every day will bring new experiences. Whether it is architecture, food or local customs, India is unpredictable. Go with the flow. Our expertise and contacts are there to reduce any delays in your India holiday and to help you negotiate Indian bureaucracy. We are there to ensure your holiday goes as smoothly as possible. Hotels cater to every level of requirement from the utterly fabulous to the slightly quirky palaces of Maharajas where old family retainers look after you in a wonderfully haphazard fashion. In addition, sophisticated African-style tented camps have sprung up near the game parks.
Some ideas for your India holiday
- Ladakh — Travel to the last bastion of true Tibetan Buddhism — tracking the elusive snow leopard.
- Visit the interior Western Ghats mountain range, famous for its coffee and paddy fields, and stroll around the temples and monuments of Hampi, India's most historical site. From macaques to munias, encounter an ark's worth of animals in Karnataka and venture off in search of black panthers, tigers and elephants in Nagarhole National Park.
- For the first-time visitor to India, our Golden Triangle holidays allow you to see the very best of the country through the three well-known cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.
- Walking in the Himalayas — see holy cities, rivers and mountains at a comfortable pace on well-maintained routes.
Advice from our India Holiday Experts
"India is less a country, or even a subcontinent, but more a world of its own. Soaring mountain peaks, vast deserts, mega cities bursting with colour and clamour, ancient civilizations, unique wildlife, fabulous food. Whatever you crave from your travels India will deliver in spades. And throw in the odd surprise or two. With some of the world’s best hotels to retreat to after a day’s explorations what is stopping you?"
Joe Parkes | Steppes Travel India Expert