Look closely at China and you will find that innovation and antiquity exist side by side. While China has emerged as a global superpower, it still retains a rich history and distinctive culture. From the man-made wonder of the Great Wall to the natural beauty of Yunnan, China is a land of both rare beauty and stark contrasts.
EXPLORE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF CHINA
- Travel on board the Yangzi Explorer , the best boat on the river.
- Combine a Yangtze Cruise with the highlights of Beijing and Xian.
- Explore the Buddhist artwork & cave sculptures at Dazu Grottoes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit minority groups, traditional villages and Tibetan monasteries amidst towering mountain scenery.
- Trek the dramatic Tiger Leaping Gorge.
- Take traditional yak butter tea with a Tibetan family.
- Soak up the history and architecture of Beijing, from the Forbidden City to the Olympic Birds Nest stadium.
- Escape the crowds and trek across a remote section of the Great Wall.
- Explore the old streets hutongs of Beijing.
- Stay at the Banyan Tree Yangshuo, on the banks of the Li River amidst spectacular karst scenery.
- Take to the water by river raft as the traditional cormorant fishermen do.
- Cycle amongst the paddy fields, stopping for a picnic enroute.
China has over 5000 years of enthralling history, 48 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, cutting edge cities, a fascinating culture, magical landscapes, minority tribes and delicious cuisine. A world apart from our culture, an expert who knows and loves the country is invaluable when creating a tailor made holiday to China.
The iconic sites of China are well visited for a reason so shouldn’t be missed on a first time visit to the country. From the Terracotta Warriors in Xian to the magical karst limestone peaks of Yangshuo and the mighty Yangtze River. Our experts can combine these well-trodden routes with far less visited parts of the country. The fabled Silk Road city of Kashgar, the exceptionally preserved Ming dynasty walls of Pingyao city, and Datong, home to the Yungang caves and their carved Buddha’s. Luxury accommodation enables visitors to stay in the ultimate comfort or opt for a more traditional experience, staying at lodges such as Norden Tibetan Camp on the Tibetan plateau or the Songtsam lodges in Shangri La.
RECOMMENDED BY OUR OUR CHINA SPECIALISTS
- Take a high speed train to the less visited, walled city of Pingyao. Stay in a gorgeous traditional courtyard hotel and explore this charming city.
- Journey along the Silk Road from Kyrgyzstan to China.
- Explore the soaring mountains and Tibetan culture of North West Yunnan, from the charming city of Lijiang to the Buddhist Monasteries of Shangri-La.
- Discover the remote province of Guizhou, home to minority tribes and an age old way of life.
- Stay at the Six Senses Qing Cheng Mountain and see Chinas most iconic wildlife resident, the Giant Panda.
- Get to know the cities of Beijing and Shanghai in a unique way: Experience a tai chi class with a tai chi Master at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing and take a bicycle tour through the hidden alleys of Shanghai.
- Stopover in the vibrant city of Hong Kong and take a day trip to explore the Portuguese architecture of Macau.
- Travel from Lhasa to Kathmandu taking in Mount Everest en route.
OUR CHINA HOLIDAY EXPERTS
We have been creating China holidays since 1994. Paul first travelled to China in 1983 and in the intervening years has made over 30 visits to almost every corner. Adding to Paul’s knowledge and another Sinophile is Charles, who has also made many visits to China. Recent adventures in China include trekking on the Great Wall, travelling the Songtsam Trail in Yunnan & rafting on the Li River. It is their wealth of in-depth knowledge and first-hand experience that will enable them to tailor your holiday to meet your exact requirements and interests.
ADVICE FROM OUR CHINA EXPERTS
“The major highlights are well visited for good reason and are a must for a first time visit to China, however, combining these with less visited places makes for a fabulous holiday to China. Ask our advice – we can get you off the beaten track to where few others go. China is a fabulously interesting country that can be visited time and time again”
Paul Craven | Steppes Travel China Specialist