Shergarh is a peaceful jungle camp nestled around a spring-fed lake on the edge of Kanha Tiger Reserve. With just six cosy tents, delicious home-cooked food, excellent naturalists and a fabulous local team, Shergarh is the perfect place to unwind and explore this breath-taking area.
Shergarh is located on the edge of Kanha Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh in Central India. Kanha lies within similar proximity to three airports. Nagpur Airport is five and a half hours away and connected with daily flights between most major hubs including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderbad, and also with Qatar. Jabalpur Airport is four hours awy and connected with Delhi only and Raipur Airport is four and a half hours away connect with daily flights from Delhi, Mumbai and Kokata.
- Six cosy tents, spaciously set within a young, indigenous woodland.
- Large, King size comfortable bed, soft pillows and locally crafted furniture.
- Spacious bathroom, with twin-basins, separate toilet and shower rooms and a large area to store your luggage. Toiletries are made from 100% natural products, and presented in reusable glass bottles, so there is no plastic waste. Showers are really good!
- Charge all types of travelling gadgets from a variety of electricity points. A hairdryer is provided.
- Stargaze and sunbathe from your private, cushioned verandah.
- For winter months - heater, hot-water bottles and thick duvets are provided.
- For spring/summer months, they cool your tent with an energy-friendly water cooler and fan.
- Light salad lunches using ingredients fresh from their garden or local markets. Their dinners are cooked in the style of a traditional Indian home, delicately flavoured and accompanied with flat-breads and pickles. They will also prepare continental cusine if you prefer. They bake scrummy cakes, tarts, bread and quiches and make their own homemade muesli as well as a few in-house inventions as breakfast treats to enjoy on safari.
- Dining may be in the Main House, on the verandah, under the shade of a large mango tree or by the light of the moon. Guests usually all eat together, but they have set up individual tables in private locations too.
- At the centre of Shergarh Tented camp lies a spring-fed lake which attracts cormorants, kingfishes, herons, teal, waterhens and hundreds of breeding egrets. There's a small raft for children to take out, and some guests enjoy a wild swim. There are outdoor sofas by the water's edge on which guests can relax under a sprawling fig canopy or around the roaring camp fire.
- The Main House, which overlooks the water, is the central point for everyone to gather at meal and safari times. The large wrap-around verandah is an ideal place to relax with a drink from the bar or a book from the library.
- Morning and afternoon jeep safaris (except Wednesday afternoons) with an English speaking naturalist.
- Nature walks
- Cycling safaris
- Visiting local markets and villages
Why we like it
A totally eco-friendly yet uncompromisingly comfortable jungle camp, with excellent staff and expert naturalists on hand.