Japan is an incredibly safe and child-friendly country with a culture and history to fascinate the whole family - legendary Samurai swordsmen, Karate lessons, origami and ancient temples blend seamlessly with modern tech museums, bullet trains and bright manga images.
FAMILY HOLIDAY SUGGESTIONS
A two week family holiday to Japan can include the bright lights and technology of Tokyo, the rolling rural mountains of the Japanese Alps, ancient temples and castles in Kyoto and hands-on encounters with samurai, robots and ninjas.
Family Ideas for a holiday in Japan
One of the most futuristic cities in the world Tokyo is a wonderful place, full of fun for kids of all ages – meet a robot, learn samurai sword skills and take tea at a quirky cafe where cats or rabbits outnumber the humans.
Public transport in Japan is astonishingly efficient and is a stress-free and enjoyable way to travel, plus bullet trains reach speeds of up to 360 kilometres an hour – how cool is that?
The tropical islands of Okinawa are the birthplace of Karate and home to white sandy beaches as well as migrating whales and manta rays at certain times of the year.
Explore temples and tea houses by bike and learn about the mysterious world of the geisha - educating and fascinating for all the family.
IDEAS FOR A JAPAN FAMILY HOLIDAY
- Explore the cities of Tokyo and Kyoto by bicycle
- Visit the snow monkeys as they bathe in warm springs - these monkeys have a distinct hierarchy with younger siblings dominating the older ones!
- Learn Samurai sword skills with Uma Thurman's choreographer in Kill Bill
- See a baseball match or a sumo tournament
- Photograph the futuristic, urban landscapes of Tokyo with a resident photographer
- Take a Bento making class in a traditional Japanese house
- Swim and snorkel in the turquoise waters surrounding Okinawa island
- Kayak around Miyajima, a sacred island in Hiroshima Bay
- Visit the Cup Noodle Museum and Plastic Food Making: fun family-friendly activities taking you to the heart of the quirky side of Japan
- Take a karate lesson - Okinawa is the birthplace of karate
Advice from Our Family Experts
“In a country where children are respected and adored, visitors will feel secure and cared for, as will their children. Using public transport is key to a holiday in Japan so build in plenty for time for this when travelling with children and take advantage of some of the quirky ideas on offer – kids love it.”
Paul Craven | Steppes Travel Family Expert