Hotel barging is the ultimate in slow-travel and is a wonderfully relaxing way to gently explore the rural waterways of France whilst staying aboard your own floating luxury boutique hotel. Covering around 70 miles during a six-day journey, with a master chef on board and a well-stocked wine cellar, this is the perfect, leisurely way to soak up the culture, history and picturesque scenery of France whilst enjoying superb world class food and wine.
highlights of a barging holiday in france
- Sample fine wines at renowned family owned vineyards
- Indulge in regional specialities from cheese to olives and truffles
- Take a gentle walk or cycle along the canal tow path
- Absorb the ever-changing scenery from the comfort of your lounger on the sun deck
- Stroll through colourful local markets, medieval hilltop villages & fairy tale castles
WHY a hotel barging holiday could be for you
- Charter your own barge for the most wonderful holiday with family or friends
- Everything is included, from arrival transfers to all meals including an excellent selection of fine regional and international wines and spirits
- Small group excursions to little known sites
- Hop off the barge to explore on foot or bicycle at anytime
- High level of personal on-board service
when is the best time to cruise?
Cruises operate from early March to the end of October. In the Spring and Autumn months you can enjoy the changing colours of the flora and fauna, whilst June and September will offer pleasantly warm summer evenings and quieter sightseeing excursions.
Are children permitted?
If you are chartering a barge then children of all ages are welcome. If booking by the cabin children must be aged 12 years or over.
Charter a barge or book a cabin?
It is possible to charter exclusive use of a barge which makes for a truly fabulous holiday with friends or family or alternatively book by the cabin and travel alongside like-minded people. When chartering a barge, the itinerary can be tailored to the interests of your group whether that be wine, cycling or keeping the children happy.
what is included in the cost of my hotel barging holiday?
Prices start from around £2,750 per person based on 8 people chartering a barge or £2,960 per person on a per cabin basis, including flights. All of the cruises are fully crewed and all-inclusive, which means:
- 6 nights’ accommodation (Sunday to Saturday) on board in an air-conditioned en-suite cabin
- All transfers, to / from stated pick-up & drop-off point plus daily excursions by chauffeured barge minivan with inclusive entry fees
- The services of an experienced captain, chef, housekeeper(s), deck hand / tour guide
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner aboard. All lunch and evening meals are a gastronomic adventure with local produce prepared with dedication by your private chef
- Any local lunches or dinners ashore
- An excellent selection of fine regional and international wines and spirits, plus all day open bar, tea and coffee
- Use of barge facilities such as Wi-Fi, bicycles, boules, barge library, a telescope. Most of the hotel barges also have a spa pool
We have chosen three of our favourite journeys in France travelling through Burgundy, the Canal du Midi and Alsace & Lorraine. If you were considering a hotel barging holiday in a different part of France or maybe another part of Europe or Scotland please don’t hesitate to contact us for further information.
kids go free during July and August
On the eight-person L'Art de Vivre in Burgundy and Anjodi on the Canal du Midi, two children can go free on each barge. On the 12 person La Belle Epoque in Burgundy, up to three children can go free - saving up to 25%(£8000). Please note children must be under 18 years of age to qualify.
Dates valid on the following holidays:
- L'Art de Vivre - August 13 and August 20 departures
- Anjodi - August 13
- La Belle Epoque - August 13
No Single Supplement for all bookings in 2017
Enquire with our Travel Experts as limited places are available on this special offer. Valid on all barges and all departures.