Why you should visit California
- Explore the granite landscape of Yosemite National Park and the spectacular waterfalls
- Taste the fine wines and gourmet cuisine of Napa and Sacramento
- Ride the cable cars in San Francisco and explore Fisherman’s wharf overlooking the Golden Gate bridge
- Take to the sea on a whale watching excursion to see the Orcas spout
- Drive the stunning Route 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles and visit the beautiful areas of Big Sur, Santa Barbara and Monterey
- Learn to surf the California coast and enjoy the exquisite golden beaches
- Head to the desert region of Joshua Tree in the spring to watch the spectacular bird migrations
Our specialists’ “mad to miss”
Explore the Sierras in September - October when the fall colours are at their best as the trees make their transition towards the winter. For travel in the early months of the year, make sure to jump on a boat and head out to sea to watch the whales as they migrate.
A little more about California
The “Golden State” of California is renowned for its glorious weather, stunning coastline and extensive wine regions. Home to the vibrant cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco, this rich culture and beautiful landscape offers wide variety to visitors and is a year round destination.
Yosemite National Park is considered by most to be the most special park in the state. With dramatic granite cliffs, towering waterfalls and giant sequoia groves it is a hotspot for outdoor enthusiasts with over 95% of the park designated as wilderness areas.
The west coast of California is lined with white sandy beaches and getaway havens with small towns of Santa Barbara, Monterey and Carmel popular destinations to enjoy the coastline. From the pristine coastline and warm waters of the south to the rugged coastline in the north, there are spectacular areas throughout the region to be explored whether you are looking for a romantic getaway or a family adventure.
California is a superb destination for birding with its diverse habitat of ocean, wetlands, lakes and rivers attracting numerous migratory birdlife with many travelling thousands of miles in the summer to escape the cold climate in South America. Wetland, shore and tropical birds are all visitors to this region with even Bald Eagles making an appearance during the winter months.
When to go to California
California is fortunate to have a warm year round climate making most months great for travel. The shoulder seasons are great to escape the busy times for the parks and enjoy the quiet roads and in the autumn, the Sierras are especially wonderful with the fall colours in full display.
Southern California is a great place to escape the winter blues in the early months of the year with warm temperatures and sunny clear days.
Birding can be enjoyed year round with each season attracting a different migratory pattern. Wetland birds are usually more abundant from October through May, in the late spring it is common to see tropical birds in the San Gabriel Mountains and large migrations can also be seen in Joshua Tree at this time.