Set out on a family holiday across South Africa, combining sightseeing, activities and wildlife. In lively Cape Town, take a cycle tour of the city, sample South African cuisine, hike up Lion’s Head, paddleboard along the seafront or visit vast penguin colonies.
In the game reserves of the Kalahari, Madikwe or Eastern Cape, learn bush skills and explore on horseback. Even dart, notch and tag a rhino as a family, getting hands-on with conservation in Kruger National Park.
Ideas for a Family Holiday in South Africa
- Explore eccentric Cape Town, with options to hike, paddleboard, kayak, cycle and more
- Join the Junior Rangers programme at Tswalu Kalahari, and also get up close with meerkats and pangolins
- Snorkel with playful seals off the waters of the Cape, in Hout Bay
- Cycle through colourful Namaqualand daisies, exploring the landscape of the Cederberg
- Swim in warm Indian Ocean waters off KwaZulu-Natal and see turtles nesting on the beaches
- Visit one of uThando’s many community projects and meet local South African children, supported by a donation included in every booking
- Head out on an on-foot aardvark safari at Samara Game Reserve, searching for these fascinating and unusual creatures
Featured Family Properties in South Africa
Offering an action-packed wilderness experience, Tswalu Kalahari is great for kids who yearn to explore.
This collection of private bush houses offers something for all ages, as well as exclusivity and flexibility.
Ant's lodges are renowned for their family-friendly adventures, all within malaria-free Madikwe.
Located on Cape Town’s waterfront, the Table Bay, with its interconnecting rooms, is perfect for families.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“South Africa is the only place where you can take a malaria-free safari. This, combined with the excellent range of accommodation options, make it ideal for very young children. With brilliantly designed family rooms at many properties and dedicated guides and activities, South Africa is perfect for your first holiday as a family.”
Illona Cross | Steppes Travel Family Expert
South Africa Family Activities On Social Media