New Zealand is home to some of the most beautiful and diverse scenery in the world and in a single day you could pass soaring volcanic peaks, drive past lakes and rivers fringed by dense woodland, cross fertile plains and end on a glorious beach. Wide open spaces, a healthy outdoor lifestyle, world-class cuisine and wines, warm friendly people and a pleasant climate are just a few of the reasons why we love to holiday in New Zealand.
EXPLORE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF NEW ZEALAND
- Swim with dolphins or take to the skies in search of whales in Kaikoura
- Visit Kapiti Island, home to the kiwi
- Search for sea lions, hector's dolphin and abundant birdlife in the little-visited Catlin's
- Kayak through icebergs in Mount Cook National Park
- Overnight on a luxury motor boat amidst the awesome scenery of the Doubtful Sounds
- Hike through the volcanic landscapes of the Tongariro National Park
- Cycle around vineyards, stopping for a crayfish lunch
- Take a floatplane to Waiheke Island to sample award-winning artisan wines
- Experience a Maori hangi; a feast cooked in an earth oven
A NEW ZEALAND HOLIDAY WITH STEPPES TRAVEL
Our travel experts have spent time living and working in New Zealand and have travelled the length and breadth of the country, both on a shoestring and in sheer luxury, with helicopter transfers the norm! Their passion and specialist knowledge can open doors to less travelled areas while ensuring the iconic sites are not missed.
New Zealand’s empty roads hug epic landscapes with spectacular views at every turn. New Zealanders also drive on the left making it the ideal self-drive destination. Combine this with the scenic Tranz Alpine train, stunning boat journeys and explorations on foot or by bike and we will ensure you get the best out of a holiday to New Zealand. We would highly recommend blowing a little of the budget on a helicopter flight. A truly spectacular and exhilarating way to see the country, whether landing on a remote island, the top of a mountain, a glacier or a deserted beach, it is sure to be a highlight.
Accommodation in New Zealand comes in many shapes and sizes, to suit all budgets; from boutique properties full of character to contemporary and luxurious hotels, as well as some simple but charming bed and breakfast options.
If the idea of unpacking every few days doesn't appeal, consider a cruise around New Zealand. Circumnavigate the coastline of both north and south islands, staying onboard a comfortable expeditionary ship and exploring some spectacular and remote areas.
We find that the ideal duration for a holiday to New Zealand is around 23 days, with time spent exploring both the north and south islands.
SOME BEYOND THE ORDINARY IDEAS FOR A NEW ZEALAND HOLIDAY
- Fly to White Island, New Zealand’s only permanently active volcano and take a tour of the steaming crater floor.
- Overnight on a working New Zealand farm and try your hand at sheep shearing.
- The ultimate helicopter flight from Queenstown, over the Southern Alps, glaciers and Milford Sound with four landings at remote locations. Take time to walk on deserted beaches, explore coastal rainforest and soak up the peace and solitude of the mountains with champagne and a gourmet picnic.
- Explore the Bay of Islands by private sailing boat.
- Stay at Huka Lodge and enjoy a day out on a Private Heli Fly Fishing trip.
- Take a VIP peak into the world of Weta special effects. Spend time with a senior crew member with access to areas normally closed to the public and the chance to see props from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
ADVICE FROM OUR NEW ZEALAND EXPERTS
“Whatever the season pack layers. The saying 'four seasons in one day' is definitely true for New Zealand!”
"Always have your camera at the ready. Every single drive is scenically stunning, and you will want to stop and capture every part of it"
"When swimming with dolphins don't take an underwater camera. You will spend too much time staring through the lens when the most important thing is to take in what is one of the most magical natural experiences you can do in New Zealand"