Ecuador is the second smallest country in South America and yet within its borders you can find a microcosm of the entire continent – hence the joy of an Ecuador holiday. Not surprising then that Ecuador tourist board coined the phrase 'All you need is Ecuador' given that they have mountains and beaches as well as the Amazon. Although the Galapagos Islands attract large numbers of visitors, not so many take the additional time to explore the Ecuadorian mainland. There you can find villages and markets which are truly local and not catering to tourists. It is just a delight.
What to expect on your Ecuadorian holiday
One of the biggest benefits of a trip to Ecuador is that you don't get the same concentrations of visitors that can be found in surrounding countries. Quito, the second highest capital in the world at 2,800m, was one of the world’s first UNESCO Heritage Sites, dates from 900AD and is well worth a visit. Outside the capital you will find small villages with weekly markets where foreign faces are rare and traditional clothes prevail. Culture aside, the landscape is gorgeous and displays the lush green beauty of the tropics with brightly coloured birds flashing in the trees.
Ecuador is small and short distances mean that travelling between the various regions is not complicated or tiring and allows you the opportunity of staying in Amazonian wildlife lodges, walking or riding in the Andes.
Some ideas for an Ecuador holiday
- A Galapagos Islands cruise.
- Alternatively, stay in one of the luxury lodges for a different Galapagos holiday.
- Stay in a traditional hacienda and explore rural villages dwarfed by the 200 mile Avenue of Volcanoes.
- Experience true Amazonian rainforest and learn its secrets while staying in a comfortable jungle lodge.
- Idle away a few days on the Pacific coast where there is not only delicious food but pre-Columbian ruins to satisfy the restless.
- Visit the largest craft market in South America at Otavalo.
- Climb Cotopaxi Volcano.
Beyond the Ordinary
Charter a yacht for your very own Galapagos cruise or spend time with the Huaorani tribe and explore the Amazon through their eyes.
Our Ecuador Holiday Expertise
Although James is responsible for designing holidays to Ecuador, we have various other members of the office who have visited Ecuador on a number of occasions and consider it their favourite country in South America. We know it well and can suggest an Ecuador holiday idea for travellers of any age.