Botswana safaris are undoubtedly the ultimate luxury safari experience in Africa. Botswana holds about 25 percent of Africa's elephants and is one of the only countries where you can still find vast herds. Many of Botswana’s lodges have raised themselves to a level of sophistication that is the envy of hotels around the world, whilst maintaining a sense of adventure and remoteness. Botswana’s unique combination of wilderness landscapes and its variety of game make a Botswana safari a holiday that you will not forget.
What to expect on your Botswana safari holiday
You need time to enjoy your Botswana safari. Do not rush the experience. Botswana is a big country and getting around is largely done by scheduled light aircraft. As flights are frequent and easy, combining two or three areas of the country on one safari holiday is not only possible, but highly recommended by our Botswana safari experts.
The most famous areas for wildlife are in the north – the Okavango Delta, the Moremi Game Reserve, Linyanti, Selinda and Chobe National Park. These areas are home to masses of big game, as well as some of Africa’s finest safari camps.
The south is largely desert and thus a fabulous contrast to the watery north. See the San bushmen of the Central Kalahari and experience the vast emptiness of the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, the remains of one of the world’s largest super lakes. Here the desert isn't always dry - when the rains arrive the area bursts into life and sees the second largest zebra and wildebeest migration in the world. Ask our Botswana safari experts for more details as to when is the best time to experience this migration.
Some ideas for a Botswana holiday
- Spend a few days in the Okavango Delta, the world’s largest inland delta with a myriad of waterways, channels and islands and home to an abundance of game.
- Take a luxury mobile safari in the Moremi, moving with the animals.
- Quad bike across the flat empty expanse of the Makgadikgadi Pans camping out under the stars – a very different type of safari holiday.
- Walk with elephants at Baines Camp.
- A safari by boat is a great way to see the huge elephant herds of Chobe National Park.
- Spend time watching the antics of a habituated group of meerkats at Jack's Camp.
- Walk with the San bushmen and learn how they have adapted to a life in the harsh desert environment.
- See the black-maned lions of the Kalahari and search for the elusive Pel's Fishing Owl.
Beyond the ordinary
A tale of two extremes. On the one hand, a helicopter safari between camps is a spectacular way to experience the Okavango Delta. On the other go hunting with the bushmen.
Our Botswana safari holiday experts
Our Botswana specialists have travelled the length and breadth of this amazing country on safari. They have explored by air, by road, by elephant and on foot. They have drifted down glistening waterways by mokoro (traditional dugout canoe), slept out under the stars and have seen an incredible array of wildlife. Their passion for the country is infectious.
Call our travel experts on 01285 655011 to start planning your Botswana safari holiday.