Why we like the Azores
The Azores, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, are on the migration route of a huge range of marine mammals. The islands are the peaks of some of the world’s highest mountains and the surrounding, deep oceans are extremely nutrient rich. With azure blue seas, lush farmland, distinctive black volcanic rock walls and white washed villages it is no surprise that this was once thought to be the legendary lost Atlantis.
What to expect on your Azores holiday
The Azores archipelago is made up of nine main islands. Our main focus is on arranging whale watching trips from Pico, but we can combine this with any of the other islands. The Azores offers a variety of landscapes, from incredible volcanic craters to beautiful lakes and waterfalls, making it a wonderful place to explore by foot, bike or horse. The abundant rain and sunshine creates a lush green landscape and frequent rainbows. The pace of life is slow and little has changed over the years: many people still make their living from farming and fishing.
Some ideas for an Azores holiday
- Take a ride out into the rolling Atlantic Ocean in search of whales which include sperm, blue, beaked and false killer, found from March to October.
- Snorkel with dolphins – the Azores is home to common, spotted, bottle nosed and striped dolphins.
- Trek in the rolling hillsides learning about the medicinal plants or challenge yourself with a climb to the summit of Mount Pico.
- Observe Risso’s dolphins in one of the few places in the world where you can access resident pods.
- Take a walk through the UNESCO World Heritage vineyards and taste the distinctive Verdelho wine.
- Explore the subterranean lava caves of Gruta das Torres.
Beyond the ordinary
Help with the ongoing research of loggerhead turtles with the opportunity to capture, tag and re-release them.
our azores expertise
Sue recently travelled to the Azores on our whale watching experience and loved the chance to go out on the ribs in search of marine life. Catching and tagging a loggerhead turtle was one of the highlights of her trip.