If you are planning a holiday to Asia with your family, Sri Lanka offers a gentle introduction to the continent without the same level of culture shock as its neighbours. This small island nation has become incredibly accessible with improved roads, train travel and internal flights. Hotels are some of the best in the region, offering excellent family accommodation and delicious food. Sri Lanka can be visited all year round with beautiful beaches on the east and south coasts. These can be combined with temples enough to spark the imagination, an evocative train journey, an exciting leopard safari and a game of cricket.
Recommended holiday experiences for a sri lanka Family holiday
- Privately charter a catamaran and go in search of blue whale. Spend the day exploring the coastline snorkelling, swimming, stand up paddle boarding and whale watching. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are provided to keep hunger at bay.
- Take a train ride through the tea hills and experience the thrill of hanging out of doors and windows and tasting the freedom and excitement of the world whooshing past. The scenery is spectacular and it's great fun meeting local families and stopping at the stations as you go.
- Scale the heights of Sigiriya Rock, an exciting but safe climb. Exhilarating for all ages. Explore the caves at Dambulla with their life-size statues and bright colours.
- Watch your children's faces light up as you track leopard and wild elephant in one of the many national parks.
- Marvel at the herds of wild elephant that gather in Minneriya National Park, a good choice to include if visiting Sri Lanka in the summer holidays.
- Enjoy the privacy and freedom of renting your own fully staffed private beach villa where children can run free and grown-ups can kick back and relax.
Featured family properties in Sri Lanka
The Leopard Trails Mini Ranger Course opens a whole new world to young explorers. The program takes place during game drives and around the camp, with short walks tracking animals.
For younger guests, there are bicycles to roam around, and the more adventurous can walk up to the larger lagoons. Ulagalla Resort openly welcomes families and has dedicated children’s menus.
A beautifully designed villa situated bang on the beach with stunning views. It has all the services of a hotel without having to share with any other guests. No shushing of the children necessary!
A qualified naturalist is on hand to take families on walks through the local tea plantations and forests. The garden has croquet, tennis and badminton courts.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“Travelling in Sri Lanka is great for both the first time visitor to the Sub Continent, those who want to dip their families toes in the region, and for those who have been on several occasions. Spend time exploring the sites but with a family twist or get off the beaten track with less discovered parks, villages, and beaches. Sri Lanka does offer something for every kind of family, whether you’re wanting adventure or time together on the beach, with fabulous food, smiling people and a drive of no more than four hours at a time.”
Joe Parkes | Steppes Travel Family Expert