Sri Lanka is lush, green and without crowds, has become one of the prime boutique destinations of the East. We love it for its diversity, the people and the exquisite food.
A Sri Lanka holiday will not disappoint, you are guaranteed to experience one of the most idyllic and exotic destinations on offer. Travelling around this beautiful island you see rolling tea estates, spectacular views and verdant forests abundant with wildlife, historical sites and wide stretches of beach. Sri Lanka offers peaceful, stylish and varied holidays with private hotels and villas that are unrivalled in the region. Small and easy to discover, you can travel either by private car or float plane.
Ideas for your holiday to Sri Lanka
- Stay in a boutique hotel or private villa on the coast around Galle.
- Visit Trincomalee for whale watching.
- Travel by train to the tea country and take a private guide around an estate.
- Stay in a comfortable tented camp in the National Parks to spot leopards and elephants.
- Get behind the scenes of the UNESCO heritage site at Anurad with an archaeologist to see the work in progress.
- Private yacht charter for dolphin and whale watching from Marissa beach, near Galle.
Places to visit in Sri Lanka
- Explore Sri Lanka’s cultural triangle visiting Anuradhapura, Sigiriya and Polonnaruwa
- Spend a few days relaxing by the beach, a stone’s throw from the pretty Unesco town of Galle
- Stay at a private beach villa with family and friends
- Watch the sunset from Anantara's palm fringed beach
- Treat yourself to an arrack sour and grilled prawns on Wijaya Beach
- Base yourself on the shore of Koggala Lake within easy reach of Galle
- Rattle your way along the tracks from Kandy to Nanu Oya, a beautiful train journey
- Walk between the bungalows of Ceylon Tea Trails - lunch at one, afternoon tea at another
- Wake early to see the tea pickers making their way to the colourful, sari dotted tea terraces
Why we love Sri Lanka
With so many different holiday styles, Sri Lanka has something for everyone from trekking and camping in newly accessible National Parks such as Wilpattu and Wasgamuwa to flying by float plane to Jaffna to explore the Dutch forts. Alternatively you could stay on the glorious white beaches around the coast or discover Colombo's fascinating past and vibrant future with a private walking tour in the city.
Advice from our Sri Lanka travel Experts
For a small country Sri Lanka punches well above its weight. In just two weeks you can spend time exploring ancient Buddhist sites, track leopard and elephant in game-rich parks such as Yala or Wilpattu, travel by train through the tea hills, and end up on a glorious stretch of white sand beach. These are just a few highlights and there are many more.
Whale watching from Sri Lanka’s coastline is a phenomenal experience. To go one step further why not swim alongside Blue and Sperm whales with an expert guide?
Joe Parkes | Steppes Travel Sri lanka Specialist
Our travel experts are justifiably considered experts in their field, having travelled to Sri Lanka many times. They are ideally placed to help you design your perfect Sri Lanka holiday.