Lush, green and without crowds, Sri Lanka has become one of the prime boutique destinations of the East. We love it for its diversity, the people and the exquisite food.
A Sri Lanka holiday will not disappoint. You are guaranteed to experience one of the most idyllic and exotic destinations on earth. Travelling around this beautiful island you see rolling tea estates, spectacular views and verdant forests abundant with wildlife such as leopard, wild elephant and sloth bear, fascinating historical sites in the Cultural Triangle and wide stretches of sandy beach. Sri Lanka offers some of the most stylish, boutique hotels and villas that are unrivalled in the region. Small and easy to discover, you can travel either by private car or float plane.
Ideas for your holiday to Sri Lanka
- Explore Sri Lanka with one of our driver-guides to help bring the culture and customs alive
- Search for blue whale off the north-east coast, near Trincomalee or off the south coast beaches
- Travel by train to the tea country and take a private guide to learn about tea growing
- Stay in a comfortable tented camp in the National Parks to spot leopards and elephants
- Visit Sri Lanka's cultural heart to explore the ancient site of Anuradhapura and climb Sigiriya Rock
- Join local families for an early morning blessing at the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy
Places to visit in Sri Lanka
- Explore the ancient, jungle-swathed ruins at Anuradhapura
- Visit the beautiful temples of Mihintale, the birthplace of Buddhism in Sri Lanka
- Climb the rock-fortress of Sigiriya, one of Sri Lanka's most dramatic, natural sights
- Rent a fully staffed, private beach villa with family and friends
- Watch the sunset from KK Beach boutique hotel on the south coast
- Swim from the clear, calm east coast beaches near Trincomalee or Passekudah
- Rattle your way along the tracks from Kandy to Nanu Oya, a beautiful train journey
- Walk between the bungalows of Ceylon Tea Trails - lunch at one, afternoon tea at another
- Wake early to see the tea pickers making their way to the colourful, sari dotted tea terraces
Why we love Sri Lanka
With so many different holiday styles, Sri Lanka has something for everyone from trekking and camping in National Parks such as Wilpattu to flying to north-east Jaffna to explore the Dutch forts. Alternatively you could relax on the glorious sandy beaches around the coast, explore the UNESCO site of Galle or discover Colombo's fascinating past and vibrant future with a private walking tour in the city.
Advice from our Sri Lanka travel Experts
For a small country Sri Lanka punches well above its weight. In just two weeks you can spend time exploring ancient Buddhist sites, track leopard and elephant in game-rich parks such as Yala or Wilpattu, whale watch off the east or south coast, travel by train through the tea hills, and end up on a glorious stretch of white sand beach. These are just a few highlights and there are many more.
Joe Parkes | Steppes Travel Sri lanka Specialist
Our travel experts are justifiably considered experts in their field, having travelled to Sri Lanka many times. They are ideally placed to help you design your perfect Sri Lanka holiday.