Explore this desert-dominated country as a family, discovering the hardy wildlife that thrives here and sampling the array of unusual activities – from sand boarding down dunes to kayaking with seals. Namibia is alive with possibilities – a brilliant (and safe) wilderness to explore. Swakopmund is activity packed, Etosha hides a wealth of big game and the south is home to vast dunes and deep canyons.
Ideas for a Family Holiday in Namibia
- Try sand boarding – descend huge dunes on Namibia’s version of a snowboard
- Explore the boulder-strewn landscape of Damaraland on foot, horseback or by mountain bike
- Kayak with playful Cape fur seals off Swakopmund’s Atlantic coast
- Climb giant sand dunes, including the 325-metre-high Big Daddy, leaving a trail of footprints behind
- Cross the desert on specially designed fat bikes or quad bikes, spotting ancient Welwitschia plants
- Track big cats with experts, watch rhinos and cruise beside bottlenose dolphins on our Family self-drive safari adventure
Featured Family Properties in Namibia
Mushara is perfect for kids, with a dedicated play area, whilst its villas appeal to families wanting exclusivity.
Quirky and colourful, The Delight is packed with family rooms and surrounded by activities on land and sea.
Surrounded by beautiful desert landscapes, Desert Homestead – with its new family cottages – is perfect for exploring Sossusvlei.
Camp Kipwe is immersed in Damaraland’s rocky terrain – perfect for kids seeking adventure and exploration in a lunar landscape.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“Swakopmund is a must for families. Although the town is small, the surrounding area is packed with activities - great for children who are active and enjoy exploring. Ideally, try and spend at least a couple of days here.”
Jackie Devereux | Steppes Travel Family Expert
Namibia Family Activities On Social Media