Reached in just over 3 hours and with a number of airlines offering direct flights, there are not many places one can reach so easily yet feel so immediately immersed in another exciting and vibrant culture.
It is also incredibly easy to combine a visit to Marrakech with stays in the Atlas Mountains and on the Atlantic coast, both of which are located within a short drive.
Colourful and cosmopolitan Marrakech has an authentic Moroccan feel. This is a city steeped in rich history and where ancient culture is still very much in evidence today. Intricate buildings and architectural wonders tell their own stories while, in the evenings, acrobats and story tellers gather at Djemma El Fna Square - a scene best viewed from one of many terraced coffee shops overlooking the square.
Marrakech has a range of fascinating monuments and sites, the Koutoubia Mosque, El Bahia Palace, the Dar Si Said Folk Art Museum and the 14th-century Ben Youssef Medersa, an ancient university with exquisite Arab architecture to name a few. Of course no trip to Marrakech would be complete with a visit to the souq, a mecca for those who love to haggle.
- Visit a classic Berber pharmacy to learn about the curative practices, herbal medicines and even spices used since ancient times
- Recline on the rooftop terrace of your charming riad as the bustle of city life goes on around you
- Base yourself outside of the city in one of the stylish and spacious hotels in the Palmeraie
- Escape the bustle of the city for a day and venture into the mountains, reached in under an hour
- Treat yourself to a traditional hammam
Beyond the obvious
Spend half a day with a guide and explore the hidden depths of the souqs. Many people find this network of alleys and lanes daunting so don’t venture far from the more ‘touristy’ sections. With a guide you can be brave and keep walking and as the numbers of tourists dwindle you will also see the shop owner’s interest in you dwindle as they work on their craft ranging from blacksmiths and carpenters to textiles and weaving.