Combine all of Kenya’s highlights on a fun, family-friendly holiday that includes both spectacular wildlife and lots of activities. Go mountain biking, try horse riding and dive off waterfalls in Laikipia, before learning Maasai bush skills and spotting big cats in the conservancies of the Masai Mara.
Kenya’s interior offers a mix of adventure and wildlife for all ages, whilst the coast is the perfect place to unwind and relax on beautiful white beaches.
Ideas for a Family Holiday in Kenya
- Adopt an orphaned elephant and visit the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage in Nairobi
- At the Ol Pejeta Conservancy, visit the chimpanzee sanctuary, spot big cats and meet the last three surviving northern white rhinos
- Explore on camel-back, camping by rivers and jumping off waterfalls
- Try snorkelling, sailing, kayaking, wakeboarding and more from the beautiful beaches that carpet Kenya’s Indian-Ocean coast
- Learn bush skills, such as tracking and making bows, under the tutelage of fantastically knowledgeable local guides
- Visit a local community with One Horizon; take a tour of the school and sit down to dinner with elders
- Gain an insight into growing up in the bush – hang out with the children from This Wild Life at Elephant Watch Camp
Featured Family Properties in Kenya
An eccentric country house, where giraffes pop their heads in through the windows, expecting a snack.
With big game and plenty of activities, beautiful Lewa Wilderness offers plenty for the whole family.
Family-friendly and beside stunning Diani Beach, Kinondo Kwetu is the perfect end to a holiday.
With its brilliant Warrior Academy, Saruni Mara teaches kids Maasai bush skills.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“Upgrade to a private vehicle, so it is just you and your family. This gives greater flexibility and privacy. Also consider adding in extra days at each place, so that you don’t have to pack up quite as frequently.”
Illona Cross | Steppes Travel Family Expert
Kenya Family Activities On Social Media