A new and novel way to experience rural Assam is onboard a private houseboat with a crew of four including a resident chef and host. Choose a route, from a day's cruise to three nights and board your exclusive cruise on the MV Rudra Singh.
Why not go upstream between the tea gardens of Dibrugarh and the wilds of Kaziranga National Park. MV Rudra Singh can cruise the entire stretch of the Brahmaputra river including seldom navigated parts of Arunachal Pradesh.
Why we like it
For those that don’t wish to be a part of a large group, this is an excellent option. It offers many opportunities to access the remotest areas along the banks of the Brahmaputra.
This private cruise combines wonderfully with a safari at Kaziranga National Park and each cruise is personalised depending on individual interests. For the first time, we can offer the journey to Majuli river island without rushing the visit on a day trip.
MV Rudra Singh is fully air-conditioned and has a bedroom, lounge and bathroom. The lounge can further convert into a sleeping area for a further two people with a little adjustment, so ideal for a family travelling.
MV Rudra Singha is built by local craftsmen in the traditional style of Assamese Pansoinau (flat-bottomed large boat), entirely made of local wood and elegantly adorned with local weavings.
A unique feature of MV Rudra Singha is the shallow draft that enables it to glide through the shallowest of channels on the river, even at the peak of winter (dry season) in Assam. This capability of the houseboat enables travellers to explore tribal communities and wildlife parks along the river, to places hitherto unexplored by boat. MV Rudra Singha is 70 feet in length x 13 feet wide.
- Keep an eye out for the endangered Gangetic Dolphin a sight not uncommon along these waters
- Visit Majuli, one of the world’s largest river islands, home to the Mishing weaver tribes known for their stilted villages and beautiful handlooms
- Witness dancing monks of the neo-Vaishnavite sect and their way of life at Majuli
- Track rhinos and tigers at Kaziranga National Park.
- Visit the textile centre of Assam at Sualkuchi known for its silk weaving traditions
- Watch the Golden Langurs play on Peacock Island, one of the smallest inhabited river islands in the world
Meet the houseboat at either Silghat and disembark at Neamati Ghat or reverse this for a downstream route. Alternatively, take a round trip from Guwahati with a choice of one to three-night itineraries.