Jalakara is beautiful private villa hotel, set on a hillside overlooking tropical rainforests with fabulous views of the sunset and sea.
This is a dreamy, tropical hideaway surrounded by nature, far from the humdrum of the modern world.
Jalakara is perched on the side of a hill in the middle of Havelock Island. It's a 15 minute drive to the harbour, five minutes to the bustling market, 10 minutes to the dive centres and Govindnagar beach strip, and 15 minutes to Radhanagar beach. Havelock Island, in the Bay of Bengal, is three and a half hours by boat from Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman Islands. Port Blair is easily accessible by air from mainland India.
Fly to Chennai (Madras) or Kolkata (Calcutta) in India, then take a domestic flight to Port Blair. Daily afternoon ferries will transfer you from Port Blair to Havelock Island pier; from there it's a 15-minute taxi ride to the hotel. Choose from government ferries or slightly pricier catamarans operated by private firms.
There are seven rooms of varying shapes and sizes with air conditioning and en suite bathrooms. The hotel has a large outdoor swimming pool and an excellent restaurant serving a full breakfast, simple informal lunches and showcase dinners of locally caught seafood.
- Hire mopeds and snorkelling gear and explore the island's white-sand beaches and turquoise waters. Zip to one coast for sunrise then wind your way over to the other side for sunset.
- Kayak around the mangrove creeks.
- Book the 'beach butler' service: hammocks, loungers, music and a cooler with drinks and snacks can be set up on a nearby uninhabited island.
- Go deep-sea fishing then BBQ your tuna and red snapper back at Jalakara.
- Scuba diving and snorkelling is fantastic. Hire a boat and venture out.
- Bird watching.
- At the hotel, there is a yoga pavilion, massage therapist on hand and local nature trails to follow.
Why we like it
It's the chicest place to stay on the island.