Huge views with grumbling volcanoes, a joy for hikers and mountain bikers alike, this region, which includes the capital Reykjavik is easily accessible for a short break while still allowing the visitor to see some of Iceland’s most iconic natural wonders.
About the Southwest & Golden Circle
Travel as far as you can, away from the easily reached sites just outside Reykjavik where a more undiscovered region awaits. Travel by 4x4 to reach the geysers and the sandy coloured peaks at Landmannalaugar.
- Sooth your post trekking bones at the Blue Lagoon, an easy, if a little touristy spot outside Reykkajavik
- Hold your breath waiting for the sky reaching Geysir or the nearby more reliable Strokkur
- Sail to Vestmannaeyjar in search of puffins and visit the lava flow towns
- Trek the 23km at Fimmvorouhals in the spring or summer and the reward will be blankets of wild Arctic flowers at the end of the trek
- Treat yourself to a traditional Icelandic woollen sweater at Mosfellsbaer
Beyond the Ordinary
Camp amongst the towering glaciers, hidden valleys and flower filled dells at Porsmork – 130kms from Reykjavik.