French Guiana is an overseas department of France and therefore belongs to the European Union. Consequently, the Euro is its currency and Cayenne, the capital, reflects the strong French influence through its colonial buildings, food and culture.
Why we like French Guiana
French Guiana is a tiny country which combines well with its two neighbours Suriname and Guyana. Clean and efficient, and combining the familiar with a touch of the exotic, it makes a reliable holiday destination.
What to expect on your French Guiana holiday
French Guiana is a rich natural haven boasting a great many protected animal species and carefully preserved areas making it a natural haven for wildlife enthusiasts. It also has two other claims to fame. The first is that it is home to the European Ariane Space Programme — excellent guided tours of this can be arranged. The second is its penal colonies, with the most famous being Devil’s Island as highlighted by Henri Charriere in his book 'Papillon'.
Some ideas for a French Guiana holiday
- The Iles du Salut include the infamous Devil's Island. Do not miss the Iracoubo Church painted entirely by hand by the famous convict Huguet.
- Watch leatherback turtles lay their eggs here from April to July.
- The King Carnival starts after Epiphany and lasts two months with thronging crowds and the frenetic rhythm of music.
- The Mouragues Nature Reserve is renowned for its diverse scenery and flora while the Kaw Swamps are host to many species of bird.
Beyond the ordinary
- Watch a space launch at Kourou.
our french guiana expertise
We have been organising holidays in French Guiana for well over ten years now and John has plenty of experience when it comes to preparing interesting itineraries both there and in the neighbouring countries.