Ecuador may be small but it has incredible variety and is easy to get around. In the highlands of the Andes stay in a traditional hacienda, horse ride around a volcano or wander around a market filled with local food and colourful handicrafts.
The Amazon and cloud forests are fascinating playgrounds with monkeys, sloths, hummingbirds and parrots to name a few. Add on some time exploring the beaches and wildlife of the Galapagos Islands and it’s a family holiday that is hard to beat.
Family Holiday Suggestions in Ecuador
Ecuador with its Amazon, Andes and Pacific coast has lots to offer in terms of things to do and places to see with your family. Our Ecuador specialists have put together a couple of holiday suggestion to give you some ideas. A 9-day itinerary that covers activities around Quito and the Amazon rainforest and a longer 2-week suggestion that cover the Amazon jungle and the wildlife-rich Galapagos Islands
Ideas for a family holiday in Ecuador
- Spend time in the Amazon Rainforest staying in a lodge, non-malarial area
- Search for a troop of monkeys, a pandemonium of parrots or a float of crocodiles
- Learn bird calls, how to paddle a canoe or find food whilst participating in the Junior Naturalist Program
- Visit the local Amazon community for a game of football
- Take the kids to a local market, a smorgasbord of vibrant colours and exotic smells where haggling is expected
- Go cycling, rafting and hiking in the Andes
- Visit the equator for a science lesson where eggs stand on end and water spins in both directions
Featured Family Properties in Ecuador
An exciting and educational Amazon jungle lodge in the Yusuni National Park. Join the Junior Naturalist Program and learn the calls of the birds, watch the monkey in the tree tops or swing like Tarzan on vines.
Learn about the endangered condor and master the art of cheesemaking at this traditional, working hacienda. Explore the surrounding Andes on horseback, foot or by bike and maybe even catch a glimpse of a spectacled bear - the real-life Paddington Bear.
Take the kids for a stay in the clouds where humming birds and butterfly abound, colourful frogs come out to play at night and it is possible to explore the treetops on a sky bike.
Combine Ecuador with the Galapagos Islands for the perfect family holiday.
Advice from Our Family Experts
“Ecuador is Spanish for equator and the location of Ecuador means that the sun is extremely strong. Ensure you cover up with plenty of high factor cream and keep hydrated”
Roxy Dukes | Steppes Travel Family Expert