Canada is vast, varied and vibrant – a great destination for a holiday, whether with your family or whale or bear watching. Whilst Canada's cities have a great energy, for us it is the wilderness and wildlife of Canada that really make a Canada holiday. From the magnificent Rocky Mountains in the west to the Arctic tundra in the north, Canada has much to offer and with such great wildlife, from the grizzly to polar bear, a wildlife viewing holiday in Canada is among the best.
- Experience some of the world’s best bear viewing
- Go in search of the elusive spirit bear in the pristine area of the Great Bear Rainforest
- Experience close encounters with grizzlies in the Yukon
- Kayak with Orcas
- Travel to the Canadian Arctic for incredible wildlife experiences including polar bears and belugas
- Book a flying safari in British Columbia
- Canada is a wonderful destination for families especially Vancouver Island
- Stay in a luxury wilderness resort such as Clayoquot
- Charter the Pacific Yellow Fin for the ultimate family sailing experience
- Travel on the Rocky Mountaineer, for one of the world’s most spectacular rail journeys
- Experience glaciers by helicopter
- Discover the emerald waters of Lake Louise
Why we like Canada
It's the expertise of the Canadian wildlife holiday guides that will really make your trip. Their knowledge and experience will get you as close as possible to the bears in the wild. Accommodation in Canada is great – you will stay in lodges with personality and run by big characters and as a result, you'll appreciate the natural environment all the more. Make your next trip a Canada wildlife viewing holiday.
What to expect on your Canadian holiday
As the second largest country in the world, it is hardly surprising to find modern cities, traditional cultures, vast mountains, lakes, plains and deserts. What is more surprising is to find that almost 90% of the country remains uninhabited and the vast majority of the population live clustered in a handful of cities along the US border.
The wilderness of the north is a haven for wildlife watching and remote lodges have been built to accommodate the adventurous, often only accessible by float plane in the summer months – hence why our Canadian wildlife holidays are so popular. The forests teem with grizzly and brown bears – Canada is one of the best destinations for bear watching holidays - while the rich waters of the west coast attract orcas, dolphins, otters and beluga whales. Don’t forget the autumn when the forests turn a golden yellow.
For families, Canada is an outdoor paradise of activities. There are some wonderful family-friendly properties – Clayoquot springs first to mind – and guides who are expert at pitching their level to children and enthusing them about Canadian wildlife. A Canada holiday is one giant playground of outdoor fun.
Some ideas for a Canada holiday
- Step into bear territory and stay at a grizzly bear floating lodge learning of these spectacular creatures and the habitats they occupy.
- Cruise the west coast in a small luxury boat watching whales and orcas.
- Take the train through the incredible Canadian countryside.
- Drive the spectacular Icefields Parkway to Banff with a stop en-route for a heli-adventure and lunch on a glacier.
- Head north into Newfoundland on the east coast.
Beyond the ordinary
Charter a yacht and explore the Great Bear Rainforest in search of spirit bears.
Our Canada holiday experts
Sue has a passion for polar bears and has seen more than most people can dream about. She has cruised the Canadian Arctic in the summer and taken land-based expeditions in spring and autumn so can provide first hand guidance on which of the various ships and lodges are the most suitable for your Canada holiday.
Whilst Roxy’s expertise is bear watching and remote lodges, her real obsession is sailing and cruising the inlets that few visit and giving you the true spectacle and range of scenery on your Canada holiday.