Cambodia is all too often overshadowed by its more visited neighbours. However, a holiday to Cambodia will provide cuisine to match that of Vietnam, pristine beaches to rival those found in Thailand and architectural wonders, which overshadow many found in Burma and Indonesia. In short, Cambodia is a fascinating South East Asian gem. Tourism has well and truly taken off, yet a trip to Cambodia remains an adventure as much as a holiday.
What to expect on your Cambodia holiday
Cambodia is a beautiful and beguiling country, which rarely fails to engage and enchant its visitors. Its artistic and cultural heritage is typified by the sprawling 1,000-year-old temple complex of Angkor, the impressive legacy of the Khmer Empire and one of the truly spectacular wonders of the world. Since stability returned to the region, Cambodia has proved a magnet for tourists and nowhere is this more evident than at Angkor. However, the sheer size of the site (390 square miles) ensures that with proper knowledge, it is still possible to experience the peace and serenity that once existed.
In keeping with much of Asia, Cambodian hotels are of a high standard and range from luxury five-star international chains to the more atmospheric privately owned establishments, which we would recommend.
Some ideas for a Cambodia holiday
- Explore the vast complex of temples at Angkor with a resident archaeologist
- Receive a blessing from a monk
- Take a safari style breakfast at a remote Angkor temple - served from a private tuk tuk
- View Angkor from the skies on a helicopter or microlite flight
- Meet a Khmer Rouge survivor
- A private dinner outside Siem Reap, amongst the paddy fields
- Cruise Tonle Sap lake onboard a traditional boat
- A luxury cruise from Vietnam to Cambodia on the Mekong Delta
Beyond the Ordinary
- Visit Chi Phat in the Cardamom Mountains – pristine jungle with local forest rangers
- Experience a homestay at Kamong Khleang or Tonle Sap Lake
- Explore Banteay Chhmar, a peaceful and hardly visited jungle temple plus an NGO visit
Our Cambodia Expertise
Paul, Clare and Amy have first-hand experience of designing holidays to Cambodia, having explored each corner between them. They can put together the trip of a lifetime to this less explored region of South East Asia and if you wish to venture off the beaten track into areas that define travel beyond the ordinary, it is them to whom you need to talk.