Why we like Baja California
Baja California is a 775 mile long peninsular that divides the Sea of Cortez (otherwise known as the Gulf of California) and the Pacific Ocean. Baja California is a land of true contrasts. Stark deserts meet azure seas, rich in marine mammals. It's for this reason that Baja California is a whale watching paradise. No other destination offers such a variety of whales - fin, blue, humpback, orcas, sperm, pilot and grey. Every year thousands of grey whales come to calve in the calm bays of Magdalena and San Ignacio. But it's not all about the whales. On your trip to Baja California you can also explore lunar landscapes, home to weird and wonderful plants and reptiles.
Some ideas for your Baja California Holiday
- For the wildlife enthusiast who is prepared to rough it a little, our Baja In-depth Cruise voyage aboard the Searcher offers a no frills option that consistently exceeds expectations.
- For travellers looking for a little more comfort the Baja California Whale Watching Cruise offers a one week highlights voyage.
- The 15 day Extended Whale Watching Cruise offers the highlights along with a chance to explore deep into the Sea of Cortez and the rarely visited Midriff Islands.
- These latter two voyages aboard the National Geographic Sealion have a very strong photographic team along with top class expedition leaders.
- If you are looking for a more relaxed option with a wide variety of activities along with the wildlife, then the one week Luxury Sea of Cortez cruise aboard the Safari Endeavour is the one for you.
- For passengers who are not so keen on sailing we also offer a land-based option with short trips into the bay to see the Grey whales and their calves.
The best months for whale watching in Baja, particularly for the grey whales, are January to April and there are frequent departures available throughout this season.
Our Baja California Expertise
We have over ten years experience in offering whale watching cruises to Baja California, and we offer one of the widest selections of ways to visit this amazing destination. Sue, our Baja specialist, has recently returned from the Sea of Cortez and is happy to offer firsthand advice on the planning of your holiday.