From the moment you step off the plane, Chile has a warm European feel which is instantly reassuring and a great start to your holiday in Chile. The streets of Santiago have a familiar atmosphere until you look up and see the snow-capped peaks of the Andes. Travel outside Santiago and you are transported into a world of stark contrasts which cannot fail to stimulate the senses, the scenery is incredible. It is a joy to travel from the Atacama desert in the north to Torres del Paine National Park in the south and admire the vast diversity of the country’s landscapes and wild remote scenery. Accommodation and food is far from wild, there are some fantastic options even in isolated areas.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR CHILEAN HOLIDAY
At 2,670 miles long Chile is the longest country in the world, stretching from the harsh environment of the Atacama Desert at the top, some parts of which have not seen rain for years, to the dramatic peaks, fjords and windswept wilderness of Patagonia at the bottom. In between you can find dense forests, crystal clear lakes, superb fishing and vineyards – a trip to Chile offers nothing if not variety.
Valparaiso, once the most important port on the west coast of South America, has re-emerged as a chic, slightly bohemian art centre which is fun to visit. Don’t forget that Easter Island belongs to Chile and, despite the four hour flight west out over the Pacific, the reward is worth every minute.
SOME IDEAS FOR A CHILE HOLIDAY
- Drive the Carretera Austral highway in Aysen Region, one the world’s great road journeys.
- Fly north and explore the dramatic red landscape of the Atacama Desert, the highest and driest desert in the world.
- Explore the windswept wilderness of Patagonia, search and photograph puma in the Torres Del Paine National Park.
- The wine district, between Santiago and the coast, is an opportunity to sample some excellent wine.
- Chile is the perfect destination for self-drive. Have an adventure through the Chilean Lake District with its sparkling lakes, imposing volcanoes and green forests.
- Fly west for a few days on Easter Island, one of the most remote spots on earth with an incredible history.
- For enthusiasts, Chile has superb fishing in a variety of locations.
BEYOND THE ORDINARY
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the Valley of the Moons, Atacama, a wonderful way to watch the sunrise.
- Star gazing in the Atacama or the Elqui Valley is a must, some of the best places in the world to look at the night sky.
- Make a dramatic crossing over the Andes into Argentina.
OUR CHILE HOLIDAYS EXPERTISE
James and Paul have travelled the enormous length of Chile on holiday and for work, including some of the more unusual destinations. James recently made the fascinating journey to the Aisen region of Chilean Patagonia, exploring the glaciers, forests, lakes and rivers along the Carretera Austral, a magnificent road stretching some 600 miles from north to south. However, Patagonia impressed James most, due to its wild landscapes and extreme beauty. Paul loves Atacama with the stark landscapes and amazing array of activities.
Call James on 01285 885333 to start planning your Chile holiday.