why we like bolivia
Bolivia is a rugged jewel nestled in the very heart of South America. Landlocked by its affluent neighbours, it remains the poorest country in South America but what it lacks economically is more than compensated for with a wealth of indigenous culture, striking scenery and unique people. A combination of colourful clothing, bustling markets and wide landscapes make Bolivia a photographic paradise.
what to expect on your bolivia holiday
The first thing you'll notice in Bolivia is the altitude, which takes time to adjust to. The capital La Paz sits at 3,600m above sea level. Potosi is the highest city in the world, sitting at 4,090m and of course Lake Titicaca famously sits at 3,800m. Don’t rush into a busy schedule of sightseeing. Take it gently and allow time to acclimatise for the first couple of days.
Even more noticeable than the altitude is the contrast in climate between the chilly highlands, where temperatures drop dramatically at night, and the hot steamy jungles which support such a glittering display of wildlife and plants.
Hotels tend to be small, privately owned and, while being full of atmosphere and delightful, are simple. Rooms will have private bathrooms and air conditioning or heating, but while facilities will be perfectly adequate they will be limited.
some ideas for a bolivia holiday
- Visit indigenous market of Tarabuco where coins are not necessarily the best currency to use.
- Drive across the salt flats of Uyuni and stay at one of the salt hotels made purely from salt.
- Explore the remote high altitude deserts, volcanoes and coloured lakes of Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve.
- Take a canoe ride in the Madidi Amazon National Park, spotting iconic pink river dolphin.
- The colonial town of Potosi was the centre of Spanish silver mining. Visit the mint museum or go down into the old silver mines.
- Stroll the streets of the 16th century UNESCO town of Sucre with its whitewashed buildings.
Beyond the ordinary
No need to compromise on comfort when camping in Salar de Uyuni – stay in a deluxe Airstream campervan.
our bolivia expertise
We've been tailor-making holidays to Bolivia for well over a decade now. Our Bolivia specialist James has explored many of the highlights of travel in Bolivia and is continually seeking out new and off-the-beaten track destinations in this hidden gem of South America.